Upgrade to Windows 10 free program is available for Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 users. This offer was expected to last for only one year.
Windows 10 free upgrade program is available for Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 users. This offer was expected to last for only one year.
However, reports said that the program is still running right now. Users who have older Windows OS need to visit Windows 10’s official download page to get the free tool that will enable them to upgrade to Windows 10.
According to Gadgets 360’s latest report, Windows users must have a genuine copy of the older OS they want to upgrade. However, there’s a catch.
An alleged Microsoft employee claimed that the original program of Windows was just a marketing strategy, that’s why it is operating for more than a year now.
The free upgrade program was launched in 2015. However, it was still available in 2016 until now. To help you further, here’s how you can upgrade to Windows 10 for free!
How to upgrade to Windows 10 for free
- The first thing you need to do is visit the official download page of Windows 10.
- After that, you need to click the “Download tool now” option. Once you installed it, you must Open the Media Creation Tool section and choose the “Upgrade this PC now’ button.
- Just click the “Accept” option to agree with the terms and conditions. Once you’re done with that step, you need to choose the upgrade option where your files and information are stored.
- After that, you need to follow the steps to complete the installation. Once the download is complete, you need to connect to the internet and head to the Windows Update section, and then go to Activation.
- Just click the “Activate” button to finish the process. You can also enter your Windows 7 or Windows 8.1 product key if you have one.
Why Windows 10 Free Upgrade Program is still running?
Express UK reported that almost all computers are running Windows 10. However, there are still some devices that have Windows 7 and other older version systems. The NetMarketShare’s stats for November showed that Windows 10 is the runaway leader when it comes to operating system market share. The popular service holds a 64.16% stake.
Meanwhile, Windows 7 is the second most popular desktop OS, holding an 18.78% stake. On the other hand, Windows 8 takes 4th place, with only a 2.41% stake. This just shows that many desktops are still running older system versions, which could lead to issues.
Originally Published at Tech Times