There is no silver bullet to climate crisis. Agriculture contribute to 14% of total greenhouse gas emissions. Recommendation to cope with climate change in terms of Mitigation and adaptations to be considered two sides of coin and solution to a single problem.
Individual level : Top 10 recommendations for one self
- Be aware and spread the word of climate change reality
- Energize your home with renewable like Solar, Biogas etc. & Improved cook stoves
- Reduce heating and air conditioning by smart designed home with ample ventilation and control
- Use energy efficient appliances, Many appliances have tag of energy consumption status
- Reduce water waste and recycle. Flushing in toilets can be done by used water.
- Eat simple and balanced food reducing meat consumption and food with less water and carbon footprint prefer to do kitchen gardening.
- Use Led bulbs up to 80% efficiency.
- Fuel efficient vehicles well maintained.
- Go online for most meetings save travel and fuel reducing your carbon footprint.
- Bicycling and walking be preferred on use of cars and fuel consuming vehicles.
- Energy efficient buildings fitted with renewables
- Sustainable transport system like BRT, SUBWAY, Electric buses and trains.
- Paperless systems and communication in offices and all academics, banks and companies.
- Carbon accounting and plan for sequestration/Carbon offsetting by CDM-Clean development mechanism
- Tree plantations and green covered areas, vertical greening of walls and greening of roof tops to reduce energy consumption for heating and cooling needs of buildings.
- Bicycling paths and walking tracks for short cut and easy access and separated from other traffic.
- Carbon farming / Regenerative agricultural practices.
Government considerations for Agriculture sector.
- Soil carbon sequestration and No till farming can save major cost on fuel for tillage operations and associated greenhouse gas emissions.
- Afforestation esp. fast growing spp. Like bamboo and Nitrogen fixing plantations, kikar, shreen.
- Pakistan Automated Agricultural Weather Network (PAAWN) establishment.
- Changing livestock feeds to improve digestibility and reduce methane emission.
- Slow release fertilizers for enhancing efficiency of inputs and yield while reducing emissions.
- Mangroves plantations to cover whole coast lines and expanding it over time.
- Sustainable Agroforestry system integrated with livestock for sustainable and diverse income
- Replacement of tube-wells and drip irrigation systems on solar power.
- 9- Actionable program for climate observation, early warning systems and integration of crop-climate models as analytical tools.
- Carbon market activation, carbon credits, C-taxes and carbon accounting system development
- Promoting biodiversity esp. in crops by adding more legumes in cropping systems that add to eco-friendly protein supply other than meat.
- NAMA- Nationally appropriate mitigation actions , CDM-Clean development mechanism and INDC. Intended nationally determined contributions, National GHG inventory and implementation of National climate change policy to be prioritized.
- Capacity building of extension service with ICT based awareness and solutions for implementation and training at farm schools to develop climate smart villages and farmlands.
- Funding research on climate resilient crops and breeds.
- Implementation of climate smart practices and precision agriculture systems deployment.
Industrial /Other sector recommendation
- Promoting wood product or infrastructure than polluting cement industry.
- Subways, bicycle paths and walk tracks. With more green area
- Industrial emission reduction by electrification through renewable.
- Climate resilient infrastructure development.
Conclusively If there is a silver bullet that is to shift on renewable.